.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Saturday, March 04, 2006

EDM Self Portrait Challenge


Most of the time I am very selective about what I post on this blog. I choose to post the drawings that meet, or partly meet, my expectations and those I am prepared for others to view.

This week on Everyday Matters Group we were challenged to try a self portrait. About three weeks ago my eldest son too this photo of me so I thought it would be a good one to use, or try and use, as a guide for my self portrait.


And so... here it is. I nearly didn't post it, but everyone else in the group has been prepared to share their drawings. It is okay down the the mouth, but that mouth is seriously BAD! Not mine, that's for sure. It is too far to the left and I wish I was as clever as Lisa Jo when it comes to double chins!!

This my second self portrait. The first one I did when I first started drawing 5 years ago. I was working through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and tried my first self portrait. Once I got to the chapter where you try Blind Contour drawing, I gave up. I still take out the book and glance through it, and sometimes even tell myself that I should continue the exercises but never have. That Blind Contour drawing has never been done - too scary.

Anyway, back to the self portrait - I did go looking for the original one this morning but cannot find it at the moment. I may well have thrown it out in one of my ruthless clean ups. Let me know what you think about this.

9 Comments:

  • You did good! I did my first today, and it isn't nearly as detailed. Good for you!!

    By Blogger Sue Seibert, at 2:34 pm  

  • Well done! It is a reasonable likeness, especially for only your second try. I'm impressed.

    Cheers,
    Robyn
    Sydney, Australia
    Scratches & Scribbles

    By Blogger Robyn, at 2:39 pm  

  • Hey Jen. If I didn't know you I'd say that was a really good drawing - and it is, but you've been too hard on yourself. You are much prettier than that in real life. You've done some great work with the shading, but I can't help but think you've managed to age yourself too much. So perhaps a more softly softly approach?? You're on the right track though. Well done.

    By Blogger Terri, at 2:44 pm  

  • I'm with Terri -- you've aged yourself much to much in this one! And you gave yourself MORE double chin, too! There's something that's really on the right track here, though -- Keep up the excellent work!
    (And I can't make mine look like me, either :-)

    By Blogger Linda, at 3:11 pm  

  • Portraits don't have to be too 'like'. You have captured your liveliness which is the most important bit, well done.

    By Blogger Maureen, at 6:58 am  

  • Jen, that is a nice drawing, but, judging from your photo, you are tons dewier, younger, softer! You will just have to develop the art of flattering self-portraiture which I, apparently, am so good at ;D
    Laur(elines)

    By Blogger Laureline, at 9:06 am  

  • i think it is a very good likeness of what you will look like in years to come. As someone else said, you have captured the liveliness. We tend not to flatter ourselves in self portraits.

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 8:00 pm  

  • Too bad you can't find your old drawing. I too threw out a bunch of my old stuff and I really regret it now. I think you did a really good job on your second try though!

    By Blogger Carolyn A. Pappas, at 4:10 am  

  • It's a lovely self portrait! I like the liveliness too!

    By Blogger Felicity Grace, at 4:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home