.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Swamp piece - progress

Today I have finally been able to work some more on my art. I spent some time early this morning doing some thumbnails for composition of this swamp piece. I decided to use the design pictured here on the top left.

I used water colour pencils in my visual diary but did not wet them - just used them as coloured pencils which was adequate for this exercise.

This is just a rough sketch to check that it would possibly work in this format.

Next step was to paint the background canvas. I have worked through this idea in my mind for many weeks now but it is still a terrifying thing to actually begin working on it. I am an extremely inexperienced painter, inexprienced in working with acrylic and also with brushes and canvas. And now I am attempting to mix all these different media together!

After painting the sky and horizon, I took the printed fabrics that I had transferred from the original photographs and lay them over the canvas. Then added the prepainted trees on the horizon. There are more layers to be added over the trees in the background. This is just the beginning, but maybe there is something there.

Here you can just see the sketch of the fallen log in the foreground of the swamp. I haven't begun to paint it at all yet but it will eventually be making an appearance. You can see a preview sketch in pencil of this log here.

This has been a very exciting challenge today and I am looking forward to working on it a bit more tomorrow.

Please feel free to leave any comments you want to make.

7 Comments:

  • This is coming along beautifully!!! Keep at ti -- it's luscious!

    By Blogger Lin, at 10:23 pm  

  • It is going very well. I love the colors.

    By Blogger Sue Seibert, at 1:50 am  

  • This is looking very interesting, keep at it, I find it interesting that you have not used acrylics before,looks as if you know what you are doing. We are all taking new steps
    Penny in Victor Harbor

    By Blogger Penny, at 7:46 am  

  • So far so good!! I love the colors and the trees in the background

    By Blogger Claire, at 8:18 am  

  • Yes, it's coming along beautifully. I think a lot of us delay, delay - too frightened to start but then when we do things happen - so satisfying. Alison in Canberra

    By Blogger Alison, at 10:16 am  

  • It's looking good - and the earlier trial piece has that mysterious quality too. Perhaps it comes from the tension between the dense photos and the openness of the background, especially that clear blue. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

    By Blogger margaret, at 4:39 pm  

  • This is looking great Jen!

    By Blogger Claudia, at 8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home