.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Monday, April 10, 2006

Swamplands Dreaming

I've been very quiet lately but this is because I have been very busy working and now my latest piece is finished. Of all the art works I have ever made this has been the most valuable - measured in what I have learnt. I have taken risks, experimented with different mediums, tried different techniques and really pushed limits and consequently I have reached a place I have never been before.

I have a new appreciation of brushwork, glazes, the difference between opaque, semi-transparent and transparent colours. There is so much now that I am no longer afraid of!

Attitude is everything. I have treated this piece as an experimental piece. Therefore, I could try anything and I had nothing to lose. When I wasn't happy with parts of it, I painted over them and started again. The result is that I have created better work than I have ever created before. Nothing happened that I could not fix, change, improve or alter.

But... it is exhausting. I am so tired and it has taken so much out of me. And it feels just great!

Below is the finished painting.

And here are some close up views:


8 Comments:

  • This is exceptional. There are so many wonderful little things I will try to remember them all. I love the detail around the tree and the reflection, too.

    melissa (here from the edm group)

    By Blogger melissa, at 9:42 pm  

  • Beautiful. I love the use of color.

    By Blogger Sue Seibert, at 11:57 pm  

  • A few posts down you described yourself as an inexperienced painter. I am not a painter, but when I see this the word inexperience is one I'd never think of. Congrats on the work you placed into this.

    By Blogger Karoda, at 7:26 am  

  • Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love everything about it but especially the colors. Just gorgeous!!

    By Blogger Teri, at 8:10 am  

  • Beautiful - I especially love the tree.

    By Blogger Alison, at 8:54 am  

  • This is fantastic, I just wish I could see the actual work. Just goes to show what you can do if you really put your mind to it and dont mind making mistakes that you can later work over.Great great stuff Penny in South Australia

    By Blogger Penny, at 11:36 am  

  • Hi Jen. You did a great job with the trees. They look terrific. Sounds like you had lots of fun with this one.

    By Blogger Terri, at 11:17 pm  

  • This is an absolutely wonderful piece. It's hard to believe that you are an inexperienced painter. The detail in the work is just beautiful.

    By Blogger Micki, at 2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home