.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Southbank in Brisbane


Last year I spent some time in Southbank parklands in Brisbane and took a collection of photos for future reference. This is one of the many fountains in the parklands.

I have always loved this photo so I decided to be very brave and try to draw it. Here is the result:


I am not sure that it is finished. I find that taking a photo with the digital camera and looking at it that way helps me decide if the drawing is finished. Having done that I can spot one part that I will change.

I have used pastel pencils on blue Canson Mi-Tientes paper.

I would welcome any comments please.

11 Comments:

  • You've done a great job capturing the energy of the original reference photo. The strong vertical explosion of water reminds me of David Hockney's "A Bigger Splash."

    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hockney/splash/

    By Blogger melissa, at 9:54 pm  

  • This drawing is beautiful! You've turned the water into glorious lace. Great job!

    By Blogger Nita Van Zandt, at 10:32 pm  

  • The water is super...somehow I think there is something not quite right with the wall in the background..perspective I think...which makes the pool tip forward? the bricks dont lie down?

    By Blogger Margaret McCarthy Hunt, at 10:58 pm  

  • I like what you did with the pastel pencils. You captured the water beautifully.

    By Blogger Donn, at 12:30 am  

  • Nice drawings on your blog. How fun with images from Australia!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 am  

  • This is awesome. Water is so hard to capture but you've done it.

    By Blogger Linda T, at 10:21 am  

  • Thats great!! I love the texture you have created!

    By Blogger Anastasia, at 3:22 pm  

  • Yes, I love the very textural quality of your fountain too - well done.

    By Blogger Alison, at 5:24 pm  

  • Very nicely done! I also find that scanning or photographing the drawing will allow me to see the weak points better. Wonder why that is!?

    By Blogger Linda, at 8:27 pm  

  • I like the texture and the drawing...u hve great blog jen.... and wonderful creativity gud luck vt ur work. looking forward to c more of ur work.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:04 pm  

  • I think you really captured the water well!

    By Blogger Elle, at 5:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home