.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fabric

Last night I tried drawing some fabric that I have hanging on my design wall. This is part of the wearable art I have begun working on and I would like to draw some 'good' pictures of my design for the documentation that is to accompany the project. Some parts of this drawing are fine but overall I don't think I have captured the fluidity or sheen of the silk so I am looking for some techniques on how I can improve this drawing. I look forward to your comments and advice.

2 Comments:

  • Jen, your overall composition seems fine. What you have drawn just needs to be smoothed out a bit. One thing I might suggest, you could try blending out some of the pencil strokes to make it appear more like fabric. I would use a tortillon or a blending stump, or even a soft chamois and even out the tone by getting rid of the pencil strokes. It needs to look more like a smooth piece of fabric. Good Luck!

    By Blogger Bonny, at 10:58 am  

  • Jen, I was also going to suggest smoothing. Also, the pencil that you use can make a difference. I got some good graphite pencils for Christmas, and they smooth out beautifully. It wasn't until I used them that I realised the ones I'd used before were scratchy and grainy.

    I love your bags and fabrics, and the bottle tree is a lovely flowing design.

    By Blogger Carole, at 4:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home