.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Drawing practice

I've been going through my photo albums and finding things that inspire me to draw and practise, practise, practise. I am finding it interesting that as I draw more I am finding that there are interesting 'side effects'. One - I am not so scared to try different things. What I mean by this is that now I look at my photos and there are SO many things to draw. A year ago I would have been brave enough to try only the occasional thing. Maybe I am growing in confidence?

I've been so encouraged by the other members of the Everyday Matters group that I have even tried the impossible - drawing people as in this drawing of a street scene in Edinburgh. I have a lot to learn and have set myself some goals and I am going to watch myself improve.

Here is another sketch from my European photo album. This is the cottage from the Summer pastures high in the mountains in Norway. I love the buildings in Norway - their styles are so significant and it is possible to identify unique parts of the country by the way they have built their houses. Coming from a country where the major part of the year is spent in terrible heat I found it interesting to spend some time in a country that has so much cold weather.

Back to the drawing - there are some perspective issues here but I kind of like the roughness and the texture of the timber and the windows. The Edinburgh drawing was made with 2, 4,6 & 8B pencils and the Cottage with 0.3 unipin pen.

7 Comments:

  • CHARMING AND BEAUTIFULLY DONE!!!

    By Blogger Lin, at 9:52 pm  

  • I like them both, particularly the second one.

    You are right...practice, practice, practice...not only gives us confidence but improves our work!!

    By Blogger Sue Seibert, at 11:35 pm  

  • Thanks for sharing the drawings. They're nicely done.
    I'll be going to Edinburgh in the near future and will have an opportunity to see this very spot. Any other recommendations of must see places or to dos?

    By Blogger Cathy, at 1:17 am  

  • Beautiful! I so agree with you - I am finding the same thing about practicing, and the encouragement of the EDM group!

    By Blogger Debby, at 7:36 am  

  • Jen, your drawings are terrific! I've just started drawing myself (took a charcoal class and an oil pastel class) and find that I really love it. Like you, I'm finding more and more things to draw and I'm looking at things totally different these days.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:44 am  

  • You've done some lovely line work and the Edinburgh one has a very effective composition. Yes, one just has to have a go and practise as you are doing.

    By Blogger Alison, at 10:40 pm  

  • This is VERY Beautiful! I love the style of the building.

    By Blogger Tami, at 1:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home