.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Is it the process?


I've been a bad blogger. Life has been busy and I have continued to make art although I haven't posted any lately. To remedy this, here is some of the art I have made lately.

This is a painting, Storm Swirl, that took me a long time to complete. It is mixed media acrylic and I had a great time doing it but it was hard work. The colours were challenging for me to work in and in the course of painting it I learnt a lot of new ways to work.

It was fun and I do like the colours.

Once Storm Swirl was completed I wanted to do something completely different so I decided to pull out some fabrics and play. I painted this fabric with acrylic paint. I really loved the colour.

I find that sometimes when I am not sure what I want to do if I play for a while the actual process brings out some ideas for a piece. This is what happened with this piece.

After painting this fabric I knew that I wanted to combine it with some hand stitching on canvas.

And here it is. I have been working a lot with these two colours lately and am really enjoying them. This is a preliminary study for a major piece of work that I have in mind. It will be a long time coming but I have started by doing a series of smaller trial pieces.

Once again, acrylic and mixed media. It is called Nostalgia.

Doing this work has raised again the question of process and inspiration in my mind. Often they come hand in hand but when stuck for an idea I find that playing with a process will set me off and make the work happen every time.

Would love to hear your ideas on this.

3 Comments:

  • Your painting is very interesting jen, You work with abstracts so well.
    I am interested in your textile piece as well,I am doing Playways with the Thread Studio and we do a lot of this type of stuff, I am never quite sure where my ideas come from, prompted by a colour and texture I think.

    By Blogger Penny, at 8:17 am  

  • Hi Jen, thanks for stopping by! Love your work. I just play around for fun. Please come again and visit my home page.

    By Blogger Joe, at 11:18 am  

  • love your purple nostalgia piece, but i'm wondering if it is flat-surface or 3-d. i couldn't really tell from the picture. i LOVE purples and many shades of blues and burgandies mixed in. also, what background is that piece on -- it is marbled paper or textured?

    thanks for sharing. have missed your posts!

    By Blogger jill, at 4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home