.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Friday, May 05, 2006

Another experiment


Continuing my attempts to use more colour in my visual diary practice work I took a risk tonight and drew some ducks in watercolour pencil. It is a medium that I am not familiar with at all, having used it only a few times over a number of years and, in my opinion, never successfully. But...the 'new me' knows that I will never learn if I don't try so here is my attempt at a watercolour pencil sketch.

This is before I attempted to wet the pencil. I really do not know what I am doing but I have had a go.

This picture is after I wet the brush and tried to see what would happen with wet pencil drawing.

These ducks were drawn from two photos that I took while on the beautiful island of Marken in The Netherlands. It is an extraordinarily beautiful community and I visited with a dear friend who lives in The Hague. Drawing these pictures of my European trip is bringing back the most wonderful memories. I can step right back there and even experience the conversations we had on the day!

The darker colour at the top is a very lame attempt at water and didn't work at all. I would love some suggestions as I don't have any idea about where to head with trying water with watercolour pencils again and would welcome any suggestions.

Having tried this and ended up with colours and not mud (well, not completely) I am prepared to have another try, so stay tuned!

2 Comments:

  • Hi Jen,
    I'm glad you took the risk and tried something new, that's great!

    I don't have much experience with watercolor pencils but I'm guessing that you are disappointed with the darkness of the water when the pencils are wetted, as compared to the lightness in the top picture, dry. Others may be able to make better suggestions, but I would suggest taking a scrap of similar paper and seeing how much pencil it takes to get the shade of water you want when wetted, and not doing the experiment on your good drawing. You may need to try using different colors or just a very light hand.
    Keep it up, it's all a learning process - the more mistakes you make the more you'll learn. There's just no other way.

    By Blogger Karen Winters, at 12:49 am  

  • Some good advice from Karen. You might also like to experiement. A very controlled page of pencil crayon heavy to light pressure across the page, perhaps about 2cms deep for each colour, then the top 1cm put a wet brush across it and see how different the colours are. You will then be able to control the depth of colour with a little more certaintity. when you wish to do something a little more precious, you can refer back to your sample. I am sure you will enjoy revisiting your Dutch journey.Have fun. Maggie H.

    By Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese, at 1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home