.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JensFootsteps

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

An Important self reflective exercise...

It's been a long time since I have posted to my blog. The year has flown by. In this post I outlined a few goals that I wanted to work on this year and have listed them again below:

  • Complete two bags that I began earlier in the year. Machine embroidered, hand beaded.
  • Complete a pastel drawing of a scene from my time in Norway.
  • Carve and make lino cuts of the bottle tree design I created a while back.
  • Work this design into a major piece of textile art.
  • Begin work on a long planned wearable art outfit.

I am happy to say that although I have not posted to the blog I have been busy working on some of these goals. The list below will tell you where I have arrived:

  • Two bags completed and sent to their new owners
  • drawing still sitting on the easel :((
  • Lino cut carved and printed
  • Bottle tree textile art still in the think tank (my brain)
  • Wearable art - almost complete!

I cannot show photos of the wearable art as I have plans to exhibit it and once that has happened I will post photos. Making this piece has been a valuable learning experience.

What have I learned?

  1. That I can do it. I can design a major piece of art work, experiment until I find a way to produce it, document the process, make samples and (almost) complete it.
  2. I have learnt that an enormous amount of time is taken to undertake a project of this type. I thought I had allowed enough time to make it over my university holidays from December to the end of February. I didn't. Well, may be I did but I tended to procrastinate at vital times and this held things up.
  3. On reflection... why did I procrastinate? What held things up? What can I learn that will prevent this from happening again? I can answer the first question in one word - FEAR! Further reflection makes me discover what it was that I was fearing. It is both failure and success. I feared that I would fail by not completing the project and having it always sitting there and taunting me. I feared that I would complete it and think that it was good work and then later feeling that it wasn't. I feared that I would exhibit it and then be embarrassed about it - feeling that it wasn't good enough which has the spiralling effect of thinking that I wasn't good enough! I held things up by just not going into the studio or for only tiny amounts of time although I did try. I found that I was frozen by that fear and not able to sit at the machine. How to over come it? I hope that now that I have done it once I will be able to do it again. I have streamlined my planning and have made very careful notes on how long it took to make individual parts of the project and will keep those as a record for future pieces.
  4. I learnt that making art can be the most exhilirating and debilitating process that you can undertake!!!
  5. I rediscovered that I love to sew and love to sew clothing and to design outfits. There is now even a 'tickling' feeling inside me that tells me that maybe one day soon I would like to sew for myself again.
  6. I have found that I can make art and successfully continue my university study by careful use of my time and being focussed.
  7. Most importantly, I found out just how happy it makes me feel to create, design, make art and that I cannot be me without doing that.

I will continue to work on this project and will complete it very soon. Then - I can begin work on a new idea!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • That's an amazing list!
    Do you know about using plumber's gasket material instead of linoleum blocks for lino cuts? Somebody (sorry I can't recall who) posted about this recently. The plumber's rubber gasket comes in sheets and is easier to carve. It gets glued to a piece of wood for stamping.

    By Blogger Nellie's Needles, at 12:01 am  

  • Great to see you back!! and how busy you have been!!

    Can't wait to see pictures of the wearable art. I'm also really keen to see your bottle tree images - I loved the images you developed last year and want to see where you take it.

    By Blogger Sophie, at 6:22 am  

  • Shows how long it has been since I visited. I am glad you are coming to terms with yourself about how to manage your time and where you want to go. I found trying to write daily on two blogs got me down towards the end, but here i am still doing it almost daily, because i found if i didnt sketch then i didnt., I dont think I have got better but I dont stress about the scrappy ones now. I am still having fun with my textile stuff and enjoying the freedom to decide what i want to do.

    By Blogger Penny, at 2:43 pm  

  • Good for you! Loved reading your reflections on things. Hand in there.

    By Blogger Rhonda, at 10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home